First up is scapes. Not too many, but usually it takes a few days for all of them to come up. Last year I had many more scapes because I had planted the garlic fairly close together. My garlic harvest, however, was disappointing as the bulbs were rather small. So this year I increased the spacing, which unfortunately means fewer scapes.
The second newcomer isn’t really a newcomer but a returning visitor – rapini – although the variety (“Zamboni”) is new. A couple of stalks were ready for picking, so they made their way into my lunch.
I have to start the next round of rapini - I really should have done that last week. I need to get pencil to paper & figure out the timing on this one. Ideally, I want to have transplants ready as soon as the current plants are pulled.
Michelle at From Seed to Table harvests rapini by cutting it at the base (leaving a couple of leaves) and new shoots will often come up. I have a bit of time until the next round of transplants are ready, so I decided to give this a try and cut the stalks just above the lower leaves instead of pulling the plant like I normally do. We’ll see if this method works for me – it would be really nice to get more than one harvest from each plant.
The strawberry production is stepping up a bit – we are getting a small bowlful per day at this point & the mystery June bearing variety is starting to produce. Its berries are definitely larger than the Fort Laramie, averaging 15 grams per berry (vs. 8 grams for Fort Laramie).
|Freshly Picked Strawberries|
Then we had a few pak choi & collard harvests. The “Joi Choi Hybrid” pak choi is a definite keeper. Not only is it delicious, but I have harvested 3,070 grams (6.77 lbs) from 7 plants since the beginning of June & there is still no sign of bolting.
|Collards on the Left; Pak Choi on the Right|
I also harvested (and pulled up) half of the leaf lettuce. The Simpson Elite was still doing fine, but the red lettuces were just starting to get slightly bitter. I have started to harden off the next round of transplants which will be going into the bed next week.
|"Royal Red" Lettuce|
I also harvested one additional white icicle radish & that was it for those – out of around 15 white icicle plants, I was able to harvest two radishes. Oh well…I think I will plant the remaining seeds in various beds throughout the summer to see if maybe a different location would suit them better.
And lastly, I harvested all of the tips on my basil plants (in an effort to make them bushier) & added them to a tomato salad – Yum!
You see the basket I used for the collards/pak choi & lettuce? It was a recent find at a thrift shop - I LOVE thrift shops & every once in a while, I find something fabulous. This basket is flat & about 18" across - it looks like it may have some purpose (other than simply being a basket), but I have no idea what. When I saw this sitting there on top of a 1970's stereo stand, I quickly snapped it up. And when I saw the price tag ($2!), I practically did a jig right there in the aisle.
My harvest totals this week were:
Scapes – 62 grams (0.14 lbs)Rapini – 44 grams (0.10 lbs)
Strawberries – 580 grams (1.28 lbs)
Radishes – 18 grams (0.04 lbs)
Collards – 600 grams (1.32 lbs)
Chinese Cabbage – 776 grams (1.71 lbs)
Lettuce – 903 grams (1.99 lbs)
Herbs – 12 grams (0.03 lbs)
Total For Week – 2,995 grams (6.60 lbs)
Total To Date – 10,549 grams (23.26 lbs)
To see what everyone else has been harvesting over the past week, head on over to Daphne’s Dandelions, our host for Harvest Mondays.
Till next time…☺