Area #2 of the garden, where the drip irrigation was recently finished (hurray!), holds 4 beds - #9 through #12.
This year, bed #9 holds shelling peas, cucumbers and Tromboncino squash.
Shelling peas in back with cucumbers in front &
Tromboncino squash on the far left
As with most veg, I decided to grow more varieties of cucumber this year, but fewer of each variety – I have a total of 9 plants as follows: Garden Sweet (2), Suyo Long (1), Lemon (1), Chelsea Prize (2), Diva (1), Green Finger (1) and Summer Dance (1), this last one being my daughters pick when we went to a seed house in the spring.
Of the varieties I’m growing, I ended up losing the Diva seedling before it was even transplanted, so that one was reseeded & is quite a bit further behind than the rest.
One of the leaves is a bit oddly shaped, but otherwise, it's looking good
On a side note, the pathways between the beds obviously need a bit of a cleanup. Before installing the drip, the beds were being watered using a sprinkler. Of course, this means that the paths were watered as well and the grass/weeds along them are downright lush. I'll be cleaning up the paths this week and am hoping maintenance will be much easier from here on in.
The shelling pea vines are literally dripping with pods:
I'm sticking with the same 2 varieties of shelling pea I grew last year:
Sabre & Aladdin
Bed #10 has dried beans and snow peas. On one side of the bed, I placed the climbers - Golden Sweet peas & Cherokee Trail of Tears beans:
Golden Sweet Snow Peas
Cherokee Trail of Tears Beans
Behind the climbers are a couple of dry bush bean varieties – Canadian Wonder (new this year) and Walcherse White.
Canadian Wonder & Walcherse White Beans
Bed #11 is all about peppers:
Like most other veg, I kept thinking that the peppers should be further along by now, but then I looked back at the pepper plants from June 20th last year:
|Peppers on June 20, 2015 (left side of bed)|
There was a little mishap with labeling however. I used Sharpies in the past and, although they faded, it was never a huge issue as they were still quite legible. Well – this is what most of the pepper markers looked like last week:
Most of the markers were completely illegible
So I spent a good chunk of time, trying to re-label everything by guessing. I did group each variety together and I have notes on how many of each I have, so that should help if I find that I didn’t end up labeling them correctly. Also, many of the peppers I’m growing are quite different – a Pepperoncino, Padron or Jalapeno pepper will not likely be confused with an Orange Blaze bell pepper!
The last bed in this section holds tomatoes and eggplant.
Tomato side of bed #12
I’m using a modified Florida weave for the tomatoes – the “modified” bit refers to my use of a vertical piece of twine that I wrap the main tomato stalk around – this keeps them from leaning over too much into their neighbour’s territory, especially during windy weather.
The eggplants are along the other side of this bed & I placed them all 12” apart.
Eggplant - Thai Long Green & Pingtung
And lastly, I’m glad to report that I’ve almost finished installing the hilltop drip irrigation - it will be complete by today. After that, it will be on to Area #1 which I'm hoping to complete by the end of the weekend....can't wait!